Wild Horse Education met with State Senator Mark Manendo recently. They discussed ongoing issues surrounding Nevada’s horses. Both Bills have been brought to the floor by Senator Manendo. If you can show up to lend your support to the State Senator please come early and be respectful.
On March 12, 2013 at 1:30 pm there will be a in the Committee on Natural Resources in room 1214 of the State Senate. The meeting can be seen live at http://www.leg.state.nv.us
Two bills will up for discussion: SB72 and SJR1
The Bill in part:
AN ACT relating to cruelty to animals; prohibiting a person from engaging in horse tripping or steer tailing for sport, entertainment, competition or practice; prohibiting a person from knowingly organizing, sponsoring, promoting, overseeing or receiving admission money for a horse tripping or steer tailing event; prohibiting a person from using a cattle prod on the face of an animal; providing a penalty; and providing other matters properly relating thereto. (click on image to read in pdf format).
A post outlining the history of this Bill can be read HERE>>>
The Bill in Part:
1. Supports the preservation and protection of our iconic wild 4 horses and burros on public and
private lands in the State of Nevada 5 as living symbols of freedom, the pioneer spirit of the West and 6 America’s heritage, as well as valuable natural resources and 7 cultural assets;
2. Supports the development of wild horse and burro related ecotourism in the State of Nevada;
3. Encourages the State Department of Agriculture to enter into cooperative agreements with local wild horse and burro advocacy groups pursuant to NRS 569.031 concerning wild horses and burros living on private lands that are under the jurisdiction of the State Department of Agriculture; and
4. Encourages a spirit of cooperation, collaboration and fairness among wild horse and burro advocacy groups, private land owners, the State Department of Agriculture, the Bureau of Land Management and the United States Forest Service; and be it further RESOLVED, That the Secretary of the Senate prepare and transmit a copy of this resolution to the Vice President of the United States as the presiding officer of the United States Senate,the Speaker of the House of Representatives, each member of the Nevada Congressional Delegation, the Secretary of the Interior, the Secretary of Agriculture, the Director of the Bureau of Land Management, the Chief of the United States Forest Service and the Director of the State Department of Agriculture; and be it further RESOLVED, That this resolution becomes effective upon passage.
DETAILS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Room 1214 of the Legislative Building, 401 S. Carson St., Carson City, NV.
- Videoconferenced to Room 4412E of the Grant Sawyer State Office Building, 555 E. Washington Ave., Las Vegas, NV.
If you can NOT make the hearing you can use the form to submit comments: click the link to go to the State Senate form https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/Opinions/77th2013/A/
Wild Horse Education needs your help to continue ALL of the work we do including litigation, field work, document preparation for boards and organizations.